At Key Stage 4, the PSHCE curriculum is taught through the tutor time programme and covers a range of topics that are relevant to the students. In addition, Abbey Manor College operates a formal assembly policy in which PSHCE and SMSC themes are addressed on a weekly basis. This is supported by the Thought for the Week, which is delivered through tutor time and relates directly to the assembly theme.
The aims of the PSHCE curriculum are to help students:
- Develop self-awareness, positive self-esteem and confidence.
- Develop independence.
- Understand their rights and responsibilities.
- Learn to keep themselves and others safe.
- Develop effective and healthy relationships.
- Learn to respect diversity.
- Play an active part as members of the group and community.
- Develop a healthy lifestyle.
- Respect the environment.
Careers is also an integral part of the PSHCE programme. A range of opportunities are provided, including:
- Personalised one-to-one advice and guidance appointments.
- CV, personal statement and application writing support.
- Interview skills practice and support.
- Career talks and workshops from professionals in a range of sectors.
- Further and higher education experiences.
- Work experience opportunities.
- Apprenticeships information and guidance.